Turkish war crimes uncovered in mass graves in Cyprus

International Desk

MissingThe Turkish army has been accused of war crimes during its illegal invasion in 1974 of Cyprus, which has provoked Greek Cypriots to prepare law suits to prosecute Turkey for war crimes. Following the discovery of human remains in a mass grave confirmed using DNA evidence to be the bodies of five Greek-Cypriot soldiers who appeared in an «iconic» photograph depicting the ferocious military attack instigated by Turkish troops on the Mediterranean island.

The families of the Greek Cypriots have said that the evidence found in the mass graves of the bodies to be that of the men presumed missing for 35 years, were in fact murdered in the custody of Turkish troops.

«It’s a cold-blooded execution,» Andreas Hadjikyriakos, a brother of one of the soldiers told Cyprus state TV. «I can never accept this.» (Associated Press)

The Associated Press in a report said: Διαβάστε τη συνέχεια του άρθρου »

Cypriot POWs’ DNA identified in mass grave in Cyprus – Turkish war crimes in the foreground

5_missing_soldiers 

The remains of five Greek Cypriot POWs of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, were found in a mass grave. The five prisoners of war, all of them soldiers of the Cypriot National Guard, reservists that had beel called up to active duty, all wearing their battle dress uniforms, had been photographed alive by a Turkish journalist at the time of their capture by the Turkish invasion forces; their remains were found during the excavations conducted by the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP, functioning under the auspices of the United Nations) at the occupied village of Tziaos, and identified using the DNA method. Διαβάστε τη συνέχεια του άρθρου »

ΘΥΜΟΜΑΣΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΘΥΜΩΝΟΥΜΕ. Φωτογραφικό αφιέρωμα σε αυτούς που υπέφεραν και στερήθηκαν. A photographic tribute in remembrance of the suffering and loss of the Cypriot people.

Cypriots Face Turkish Barbarism in Nicosia and Washington DC

Cypriot woman grieving

For Immediate Release: July 21, 2009

Contact: Nikolaos Taneris, New York, Tel. (917) 699-9935.

The following is a report on yesterday ‘ s 18 hour vigil and demonstration in Washington, DC to mourn the Missing Cypriots and mark the 35th anniversary of the Turkish-military invasion and continuing occupation of Cyprus. The report speaks volumes for how much the Turks fear the simple message of freedom for Cyprus and the potential strength of our victimized people. This is the third year in a row that we have come to DC armed only with cardboard signs, a few Hellenic National flags and a passionate fervor to commemorate the injustice befallen the People of the Republic of Cyprus. It drove the entire Turkish lobby (the apparatus of the Turkish State’s barbarism) into a frenzy of reactionary activity and fury.. Διαβάστε τη συνέχεια του άρθρου »